Saturday, October 11, 2008

BLINDNESS ***


Blindness is about the things we see when we don’t see and it’s not very popular where I live. We were only 2 and 1/5 in the movie theatre: the half being an old man who I thought was dead but was only dozing on and off. Blindness is ... worth seeing anyway. It’s also a great novel I should have read but haven’t read yet. Driving back home after the film and still thinking about it, I saw a woman gesticulating on the side of the road while screaming things I couldn’t hear. I kept on driving and watched in the rearview mirror. I saw a little white dog I hadn’t seen before dangerously crossing the street. Good thing I didn’t hit him, bad thing I saw the woman who was trying to warn me to see the dog... is there a moral to this story? I don’t know but I wonder why every film I’ve seen dealing with blindness, (Lars Van Trier’s Dancer in the dark comes to mind), mixes sadism with vision.

Blindness parle des choses que l’on voit quand on ne peut pas voir et ce n’est pas un thème très populaire où je vis. Nous étions seulement 2,5 personnes dans la salle, la demie-personne étant le vieil homme au premier rang que je croyais mort mais qui en fait piquait du nez tout le long de la projection. Blindness mérite d’être vu, il mérite aussi d’être lu puisqu’il s’agit avant tout d’un roman. Sur la route, en revenant chez moi, et alors que j’étais encore en train de penser au film, j’ai vu une femme gesticuler au bord de la route en criant des choses que je ne pouvais pas entendre. J’ai continué à conduire mais en regardant dans le rétroviseur, j’ai vu un petit chien blanc qui traversait la rue assez dangereusement. C’est une chance que je n’ai pas écrasé le chien, mais ce qui est inquiétant c’est que je n’ai vu que la femme qui gesticulait pour me dire de voir le chien... y a t’il une morale à cette histoire, je ne sais pas. Ce que je sais par contre c’est que tous les films que j’ai vu et qui parlaient de cécité - Lars Van Trier avec son “Dancer in the dark” vient en tête- . finissent par parler surtout du sadisme. Ca n’a pourtant rien à VOIR.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a phenomenon among Cambodian victims of the Khmer Rouge called hysterical blindness where people become suddenly blind after witnessing atrocities. Not much has been written about it except an article in the New Yorker but the film makers should talk more about that than invent some sort of self-inflicted disease. But in any case, film is all about seeing so maybe filmmakers have this irresistible urge to deny the viewers vision as some sort of ploy to make them pay attention...I hate Lars Von Trier anyway.

David said...

Nicely combining decimals with fractions.... make that 2.1/2 people!!