Saturday, February 21, 2009

ENTRE LES MURS / THE CLASS


A class of 9th graders, the spleen of a young french letters professor and you have The Class, contender for an Oscar for foreign film tomorrow and a crowd pleaser for sure. The film is not a documentary even though it is structured more or less like one. The actors are actual students but they are acting nevertheless which makes for an interesting cinematographic experience. France is now (and has been for some time) a melting-pot so The Class is made of French students but very few can claim to be 100 % “ham and butter” as they refer to people with several generations of Frenchship behind them whatever it means ! Actually and it is probably the most important message of the film if there is one, they couldn’t care less about where they come from (unless it involves soccer teams of course!). The first time I had to fill an official form in the US (I think it was for the driving licence) I had to check a box and my choice was -as I recall- Caucasian Hispanic African-American Asian/Pacific Other and I was stuck! I asked for my neighbor’s help who looked at me as if I were an alien (which I was) and told me with a little bit of contempt that I was for sure a Caucasian ! I might be really bad in geography but I know for sure that I don’t come from the Caucase. The kids of The Class are this new brand of citizens of the world whom origins are only relevant to those who want to find justification for our current and global madness. In the end, they are just kids, pretty good ones too, and it sucks to be 14 !

Une classe de 4ième, le blues d’un petit prof de lettres et ça donne Entre les murs, un film nommé aux Oscars du meilleur film étranger demain et qui a tout pour plaire au public Américain. Le film n’est pas un documentaire mais il est structuré comme un documentaire. Les acteurs sont des élèves mais ils jouent. La France d’aujourd’hui est (depuis longtemps déjà) un melting-pot. Entre les murs présente des élèves venant de tous les horizons et peu d’entre eux sont 100 % “jambon-beurre” comme ils aiment définir les français dits de souche. En fait, et c’est là peut-être le message le plus important du film s’il y en a un, peu importe d’où ils viennent, ils en ont sincèrement pas grand chose à cirer (sauf quand il s'agit des équipes de foot!). La première fois que j’ai du remplir un formulaire aux USA (je crois me souvenir que c’était pour le permis de conduire) je devais cocher une case pour dire de quelle origine j’étais. Les choix étaient - Caucasian Hispanic African-American Asian/Pacific Other- et moi je me suis retrouvée comme une OVNI à me demander à quelle case j’appartenais. J’ai du demander l’aide de mon voisin qui m’a regardée avec mépris puis a conclus que j’étais une patate du Caucase. La géographie n’a jamais été mon fort mais je sais pertinemment que je ne suis pas plus Causasienne que fraise des bois. Bref, pour en revenir à Entre les murs, les ados sont ados et c’est pas un cadeau. A part ça, ils sont plutôt des bons kids, quelque soit la case à cocher.

No comments: