Friday, June 6, 2008

OUR DAILY BREAD


Director: Nikolaus Geyrhalter (available in DVD, playing on the Sundance channel)

Here is a movie I wish I hadn't seen but which could actually work wonders for people who are trying to loose weight ! Trust me… watching this film will cut your appetite for a few hours, so and if you watch it daily you might be able to shed a few pounds just in time for Summer vacation ! There is no commentary at all in this documentary which basically shows you where food comes from. It should be a joyful yummy experience but it is not. From the tomatoes to the apples, the salt or the cucumbers, it is all very painful and everything but appealing. Wait until I DON’T tell you about chickens, pigs, cows… even fish! Major huge traumatic scary movie! I don’t even want to think about it. Noone made me watch it and I have to admit that I was a bit hypnotized by it: perhaps because of the lack of commentary (which was totally unnecessary by the way : never images have been so explicit). I kept on watching because I felt stupid not knowing… Not knowing where the stuff you put in your mouth comes from is a bit like using words without knowing their meaning. So and now that I know that there is such a thing as a huge vacuum- cleaner on wheels that sucks chickens up in order to spit them on the other side in crates and that some clever people actually invented these machines, I don’t think I’ll eat chicken for a while. Now that I have seen with my own eyes that cows DO know that they are going to be slaughtered and I have seen the fear in their eyes, I don’t want to eat meat anymore. And I am not telling you about the tomatoes: I had the feeling their screams were just silenced by the clouds of pesticide sprayed by obese versions of the Michelin man workers with their protective gear which looked almost as if they were working in nuclear plants! OK, I might be exaggerating a little bit but it’s easier to tell you about the tomatoes, take my word for it. Once the animals are food, they couldn’t care less anyway but the sadness of the food workers remains : it seems to be a hell of a job, literally speaking.
On a last note, this film is from the Netherlands and most of it is filmed in Europe. An American version of it could prove itself lethal!

Réalisateur:
Nikolaus Geyrhalter
Voilà un film que je n’aurais peut être pas du voir… cela dit, il est à conseiller à tous ceux qui désirent perdre du poids juste à temps pour les vacances ! Si vous regardez ce documentaire, vous risquez de perdre l’appétit pour quelques heures, regardez-le quotidiennement et c’est la ligne assurée. Il n’y a pas de commentaires pour ce documentaire qui vous montre d’où vient la nourriture. Ca devrait être une expérience appétissante et c’est tout le contraire. Des tomates aux pommes en passant par le sel, c’est l’angoisse! Et je ne vous dis rien ou presque des poulets, cochons, vaches, ni même des poissons. Je ne veux même pas y penser. Personne ne m’a obligée à regarder ce film et je dois avouer qu’il a quelque chose d’hypnotisant (le côté machine probablement). Pas de commentaires, une bande son on ne peut plus zen et des images qui parlent d’elles-mêmes. Après tout, ne pas savoir d’où vient la nourriture que l’on mange chaque jour est insensé. Alors maintenant que je sais qu’il existe un aspirateur à poulets vivants qui les aspirent d’un côté et les recrachent de l’autre dans des tiroirs, je n’ai pas vraiment envie de me faire un poulet rôti. Et maintenant que je sais que les vaches savent qu’elles vont être massacrées et que la peur se lit dans leurs yeux, c’est pas demain que je mangerai un burger frites. Et je ne vous parle pas des tomates! Leurs cris étaient probablement etouffés par les nuages de pesticide largement distribués par des employés qui semblaient être accoutrés de tenue de protection pour les centrales nucléaires… tout à fait rassurant. D’accord, j’exagère peut être un peu mais pas tant que ça. Entre l’abattage sordide des animaux et le spleen des travailleurs qui semblent être punis de travailler dans cet enfer, on ne peut pas dire que ce soit la joie.
Pour finir, ce film vient de Hollande et semble avoir été principalement filmé en Europe. Imaginez une version Américaine : direct section film d’horreur!

No comments: