Sunday, January 20, 2008

PERSEPOLIS

Persepolis is the embodiment of the Iranian people I know: smart, funny, elegant, well read and sophisticated, slightly kookie, extremely generous, a bit unreliable and totally forgivable... very French in a way! I find Marjane Satrapi almost as French as she is Iranian since I understand her so well and it is not only a question of language but of sensibility. Of course, the Iranian people I know live outside of Iran and Persepolis -the comic book and the movie- are only possible outside of the country. As an Iranian exile artist noted recently during a talk about her work “artists only speak in their names”! I find it remarkable that one person can humanize an entire nation by way of a comic book and later an animated movie because unless you are extremely insensitive you cannot feel anything but love and admiration for the people of Iran when you see this film. I guess it makes Marjane Satrapi an exceptional person... and a great artist. That said, I have to admit that the Iranian people she portrays in her story have more to do with the people I know NOW than with the people I used to know.. decades ago! Especially the bearded one I met in my teenage years when I was living in England. He was a dark and somber political activist (during the last years of the Shah regime) and I had a crush on him. At that time I was almost starving because my roomate and best friend who was in charge of carrying our tuition to the college in cash (I have no idea why but c’est la vie) had thrown away the cash in the garbage thinking it was chocolate wrapping paper (why? I have no idea either). So we were both starving that month when the bearded one invited us for a curry party. Or what I thought was a curry party! In fact it was a CARI party and since CARI was the acronym for Campaign Against Repression in Iran we were served pictures of torture perpetrated by the Savak secret police and not hot chicken curry and rotis. I almost fainted and the bearded one thought he had that much effect on me : wrong! In one more classical tale of the clash of foreign accents (mine and his) he also spent an entire evening coaching me about the gorillas. I even made a few interesting comments on the issue before I realized that he was not talking apes in the mist but guerillas in action! Don’t ask what I was smoking at that time, I don’t even remember! Anyway the story with the bearded one didn’t last very long and when I finally got sick of the Aramis smell (or was it Drakkar noir?) that seemed to accompany him wherever he went I moved on. The reason why I am telling all this is only because at some point,watching Persepolis, I thought I saw him on the screen... beard and all! Spooky!

Dans Persepolis, il y a les amis Iraniens que je connais aujourd’hui : intelligents, raffinés et drôles, extrèmement cultivés et généreux, un peu têtes en l’air mais toujours pardonnables, très Français dans un sens ! Marjane Satrapi est pour moi aussi Française qu’elle est Iranienne probablement parce que je la reçois 5 sur 5, elle et son humour déjanté, sa joie de vivre et sa sensibilité. Bien sûr, les Iraniens que je connais aujourd’hui ne vivent pas en Iran et Persepolis -le livre et le film- ne sont possibles qu’en dehors du pays. Comme le disait récemment une artiste Iranienne en exil qui présentait ses oeuvres, “un artiste ne parle qu’en son nom”! Je trouve remarquable qu’une personne puisse seule réussir à humaniser un peuple tout entier par le biais d’une bande dessinée et plus tard d’un film et à moins d’être complètement insensible ou bouché on ne peut ressentir que de l’amour et de l’admiration pour le peuple Iranien après avoir vu ce film : Marjane Satrapi est donc une personne exceptionnelle à mon sens et une grande artiste. Cela dit, je dois admettre que les Iraniens qu’elle présente dans son film ont plus à voir avec ceux que je connais aujourd’hui plutôt qu'avec ceux de ma jeunesse! Rien à voir par exemple avec le barbu de mes jeunes années (d’avant la chute du Shah) en Angleterre. Engagé et sombre comme une nuit d’hiver au Kamchatchka, j'avais, je dois l'avouer, un faible pour lui. A cette époque j’avais très faim étant donné que ma compagne de chambre avait jeté dans le caniveau notre argent du mois (pourquoi?... longue histoire, elle était très étourdie). Nous étions donc assez affamées quand le barbu nous invita à une “curry party”. Erreur d’interprétation, il s’agissait en fait d’une “CARI party”, CARI signifiant Campaign Against Repression in Iran où l’on nous servit des images de torture perpétrées par la police secrète du Shah plutôt que du riz et des rotis. Je me souviens m’être presqu’évanouie, et le barbu pensa qu’il y était pour quelque chose! Plus tard et dans une autre illustration parfaite de l’effet pervers que peuvent avoir les accents étrangers les uns sur les autres, il passa une soirée entière à me parler des gorilles. Je fis même quelques remarques pertinentes sur la question avant de réaliser qu’il me parlait en fait de la guerilla. Je ne sais pas très bien de quelle substance j'abusais à l'époque, mais bon, j'étais très jeune! L’histoire avec le barbu fut de courte durée mais si j’en parle aujourd’hui, c’est juste parce que j’ai cru à un moment le voir apparaitre à l’écran, barbe et effluves d’Aramis comprises... bizarre!

No comments: