Thursday, December 20, 2007

THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY

Too bad Julian Schnabel couldn’t direct Perfume, he would have done a much better job that Tom Tykwer who is responsible for this massacre and for another massacre called Heaven based on a Kieslowski screenplay (the only movie to my knowledge where Cate Blanchett is not brilliant). Julian Schnabel directed The diving bell and the butterfly, a sensitive, beautiful, intelligent rendering of the book by Bauby. When I first heard that the book was going to be adapted for the movies I wondered who would do such a thing and why? I guess the movie answers these questions and more. It’s about facing our mortality, it is done with grace, it is imaginative and visually amazing at times. Even if some scenes could have turned gruesome, there is some humor when needed to give some lightness to that unbearable burden of being that Bauby had to endure for a while. Jean-Dominique Bauby was the victim of a massive cerebral stroke when he was 42 years old. He was diagnosed with a locked-in syndrome that left him with hearing and vision in the left eye. Nothing else. He managed to dictate a book “The diving bell and the butterfly” by blinking to the letters of the alphabet. I met Bauby when I was a journalist. He took me to lunch a few times and gave me an assignment for Elle : les femmes et l’addition! I wrote the piece. It was never published but Bauby liked it, encouraged me and made sure I was paid, which was very useful at the time. I can’t say that I knew him but I knew of him and watching the film brought back memories of that time so the way I watched it was a bit surreal. By pure coincidence I happened to have met Emmanuelle Seigner (who plays Bauby’s first companion and mother of his children) right at the time she met Roman Polanski. She was 18 (for sure!) but behaved like she was 14... a good actress then and a better one now! I thought I was travelling back in time and lots of memories came back. I was immersed in the movie and in my own memories at the same time. Strange and interesting but in a way very appropriate for a movie probably as personal to Schnabel as it is for you or me.

Dommage que Julian Schnabel n’ait pas pu réaliser l’adaptation de Perfume, il en aurait fait autre chose que le massacre signé Tom Tykwer (responsable d’un autre massacre intitulé Heaven basé sur un scénario inachevé de Kieslowski - le seul film à ma connaissance où Cate Blanchett n’est pas resplendissante). Julian Schnabel a donc réalisé Le scaphandre et le papillon, un film sensible, intelligent et visuellement remarquable basé sur le livre de Jean-Dominique Bauby. Lorsque j’ai lu que les droits du livre avaient été achetés, je me suis demandée qui pourrait bien s’y attaquer et surtout pourquoi! Le film répond à ces questions et bien d’autres aussi. Confronter sa propre mortalité, celles des autres, le tout délivré avec grâce et élégance, imagination aussi. Jean-Dominique Bauby fut la victime d’une attaque cérébrale massive à l’âge de 42 ans qui le laissa avec la faculté d’entendre et de voir d’un oeil, une condition curieusement appelée “locked-in syndrome”. Après avoir trouvé le moyen de communiquer, il a dicté un livre en battant de la paupière gauche au rythme des lettres de l’alphabet. J’avais rencontré Bauby quand j’avais commencé de travailler dans le journalisme. Nous travaillions au même endroit et il m’avait emmenée déjeuner une fois ou deux et donné un article à écrire pour Elle (Les femmes et l’addition... jamais publié ). Je ne peux pas dire que je le connaissais vraiment mais des souvenirs me sont revenus datant de cette période, de cet endroit. Les souvenirs me sont revenus alors que je regardais le film et c’était une expérience un peu étrange. Par pure coïcidence le film est avec Emmanuelle Seigner, la compagne de Roman Polanski que j’avais aussi rencontré à l’époque. Alors forcément les souvenirs se sont bousculés sans que je puisse vraiment les identifier puisque j’étais malgré tout plongée dans le film. Un peu comme un flash de voyage dans le temps, une expérience somme toute tout à fait en harmonie avec l’univers de Schnabel. J’étais plongée dans le Scaphandre et dans le passé, dans mon univers personnel, aussi personnel que ce film peut l’être pour chacun.

No comments: